Our programs enable students to develop a comprehensive understanding of the discipline of theatre—its processes, its products, and its unique ability to capture with depth and passion the truths of human experience.
Each of our Degree Programs combines a rigorous, exciting theatre core with specialized courses that provide the freedom and flexibility for each student to meet his or her personal goals. The following pages provide detailed information on each program of study offered by the Department of Theatre.
We also offer a variety of theatre courses for Non-Majors, many of which will satisfy University of Utah general education requirements.
- Actor Training Program
- This is is a conservatory-style training program for students who seek careers as professional actors.
- Musical Theatre Program
- This is a dynamic and demanding undergraduate training experience for students who seek a professional career in Musical Theatre.
- Performing Arts Design Program
- This provides students with the highest quality education, training and practical experience in the study of design for the performing arts.
- Stage Management Program
- The Stage Management BFA program prepares students for professional careers in stage and production management. Students develop an artistic sensibility, a strong working knowledge of technical production, and effective organizational and management skills to orchestrate the smooth execution of a production.
- Theatre Teaching
- This is a four-year professional degree that prepares students to teach theatre in a variety of dynamic and challenging learning environments.
- Theatre Studies
- This is a degree for students interested in all theatre has to offer, with an emphasis on the development of new works for the stage.
- Theatre Minor
- This provides students with the opportunity to explore many aspects of the theatre from acting to stage management, history to playwriting.
- Learning Abroad
- Spend time in England or Korea & Taiwan attending classes, seeing performances by some of the world’s finest theatre companies, and visiting galleries, museums, and historic sites.
- Classes for Non-Majors
- Need Fine Arts, Humanities, or Diversity credits? Check out our courses for Non-Majors!